Well, looking at it, the year started out with me working in Chicago, then moving down to Urbana
to finish school, then moving to California to work s'more.
I've owned my first two cars. The first was a '72
Beetle retired by rust and sold to a co-worker as office furniture. The
current ride is an '83 Volvo wagon.
Two girlfriends, the first twelve years younger than the last, but no
I started out with a little money saved up. By
April I was hawking porn to make ends meet. At the
end of the year, I'm nearly out of debt and ready to
pay back my school loans. My salary at year's end is just over twice what it
was at the end of 1998. My work responsibilities and professional experience
are at least doubled.
So here's a novel thought. I've got my journal to help me look back on the
year, but how about looking forward?
I've pulled way ahead, money wise, and there's so much farther I can go.
I received a well-deserved raise after six months at Tellme, and I will ask
for even more money in May. I'd like to find my own place, unless a miracle
occurs that causes me to feel happy about living with Dave. The cost of
living out here is high, and the salaries I can command are even higher. The
hope is that I might cash in with my stock options on this Internet boom and
have enough cash to live comfortably, hopefully start a different career that
will help me be a better-rounded person.
I should begin tithing. I have my books balanced for this new year, it
will be easy to figure out what 10% is. I just need to figure out where to
spend it. I also need to find a Good Will and dump a lot of my old clothes,
and get a few nice ones.
I need more exercise. I think this ties in to the domestic situation,
doing volunteer work, and having healthier, more balanced relationships. I've
developed the habit of living at work, where there is plentiful junk food. I
have a belly and I get tired more easily than I should. I should also go for
an annual physical exam, which I haven't had since I enlisted, back in 1994.
I've always tended to be a loner, but this year I've been blessed with
experience of several different coworkers, roommates, romances, and a loose
social network of friends out here in California. It is time to start
focusing on being a good friend. That is a complicated ambition, but it
should be rewarding to work on. Next Christmas, it would be neat to send out
I love my family, and am glad to have flown home for Thanksgiving and
Christmas. Uncle had the great idea that Easter could be moved a week in
either direction so my next planned return could be a little easier.
I should get the bike tuned up by a professional, or buy a new one if
necessary. Then I should ride to work every day. I should start cooking at
home, and stop abusing pre-packaged junk food. If I have too much food, then
I can bring good leftovers to work or invite friends over to help eat. My
hope is that the Volvo will make it to its twentieth year reliably, at which
point I will feel better about buying a new car, and there might be a hybrid
that I fancy.
- 3 January - Hello Snow ... and Goodbye EnterAct
- It's the Blizzard of '99 - quite a way to start off a new year!
- 5 January - CTA Fucks Up
- A little whining about how the CTA managed to embarrass itself in the
- 18 January - A Birthday Update
- A short entry after a nice birthday party.
- 20 January - back to skool
- dannyman recounts a few experiences from the first days of class.
- 31 January - Farfignoogin' Baby!
- My Beetle is doing better than ever!
- 14 February - IRC Transcript
- dannyman has a conversation with Ian, late one night.
- 2 March - Porn For Tuition
- Going broke, fixing the car. Jessy's Birthday!
- 12 March - Crimes and Melancholy
- The Funk, the parties, and a classy German named Lucy.
- 22 March - 22 March, 1999
- 30 March - Grow Up!
- ... and you shouldn't be an ignorant little fascist pin-head.
- 20 April - Futurama
- The not so distant future of dannyman, and a Volkswagen that can stop.
- 27 April - Tellme to the Bay
- dannyman visits the San Francisco Bay area for a job interview, and to
ponder his future.
- 17 May - [dazed] the time is now
- well, in the morning i'll wake up, finish packing, clean the floor, and
head out in the beetle to california.
- 27 May - Graduation Party and Wagens West!
- dannyman graduates from University of Illinois and drives West in his
- 28 May - Breakdown in Wyoming
- Lucy breaks down in Wyoming, stalling dannyman's manifest destiny.
- 29 May - From Cheyenne to the Hills of San Pablo
- dannyman drives two days straight from Cheyenne to San Francisco, odometer
flipping en route.
- 14 June - Summation
- Bringing you up to speed, a little.
- 15 June - Dark City
- You've seen what we are. We use your dead as vessels.
- 18 June - Gettin' the Job Done!
- 22 June - The Webers
- See what you get when you fool around?
- 6 July - Severe Rust Damage
- dannyman thinks he should buy a Volvo.
- 8 July - dannywagon
- dannyman buys a Volvo, visits Berkeley.
- 12 July - Back in the Saddle
- 17 July - Pigeons, Pizza
- dannyman takes a walk in San Francisco.
- 20 July - Tellme
- Tellme makes a press release, dannyman considers still and moving
- 29 July - I Should Probably Go Home
- everyone knows that the real dannyman assrapes at the drop of a hat
- 13 August - Penguins
- dannyman kicks it oldschool 'BSD at the Linux Convention.
- 17 August - Quake, Mom's Birthday, DMV
- dannyman gets pulled over, patches his bike tire.
- 23 August - in?Famous
- dannyman gets freaky on the dance floor.
- 20 September - Weekend With Dannyman
- Featuring guest author, Jessica L.
- 27 September - American Beauty
- Go see this movie!
- 19 October - New Desk
- Things are coming together.
- 24 October - Weekend Slack
- dannyman takes some time to chill.
- 31 October - Jarritos Fresa!
- dannyman gets his cherry pop!
- 4 November - Bye Bye, Lucy
- dannyman's old ride declared junk.
- 6 November - Karaoke Basil Baggie
- I woke up at 7:30 this morning. I almost NEVER wake up at 7:30 these days
- 4 December - I Love Chicago!
- Gotta make my fortune on the Internet Gold and head back East, maybe.
- 19 December - Flesh or Domesticate
- dannyman, a writhing wall of man flesh, and the grand rumination of
- 22 December - SJC Purgatory
- 29 December - Being There
- A happy white Christmas back home in frigid Chicago.
- 30 December - Rollover Eve Eve
- dannyman's wheels get squared away.
- 31 December - It's the End of the World as We Know It
- ... and I feel fine.
H O M E
This document last modified Wednesday, 19-Nov-2003 23:24:54 UTC