I am trying to get my sh!t together and push forward on technically-interesting projects of personal interest that others may dig as well. A big thing is to evolve a personal process of saying “this is what I am working on . . . this is what I have decided to achieve.”
“Work in Progress”
Front-Burner: Photos-Flickr (June)
See Photos Flickr page.
The current think is to pound out some progress on Photos Flickr through June, then put it on the shelf a while and do something neat with lnk.to. Or, perhaps some other project . . .
- bundle PHPFlickr and other dependencies into distribution (Done-M0.5)
- can we bundle an API key? (Yup–Done-M0.5)
- re-write install instructions (Done-M0.5)
- extend WP admin interface to set variables like API key (Done-M0.5)
- provide a variety of sample templates
- * support sets
- * add set / collection browsing context to
- * display comments
- can we post comments back to Flickr?
Add support for collections(Not yet supported by Flickr API)
- promote plugin, once it is worth promoting
- a better name?
- Print raw tag function (looks like it would require a call to photos.search)
- photos-flickr 0.4
- 2006-01-29: Initial release of crude plugin
- photos-flickr 0.5
- 2007-06-06: “Deja Vous?” Jumped back in after some years: some cleanup, bundle PHPFlickr and Flickr API key, sample template, revised instructions, easier configuration of NSID
- photos-flickr 0.6
- 2007-06-20: “Context” Added support for browsing sets, and did a lot of “maintenance” to get the code in shape for subsequent development
- photos-flickr 0.7
- 2007-06-27: Built up inline reference documentation, added support for pretty URLs.
M0.8 “Plug and Play”
Due Date: 2007-07-03
- Likely: Add support for displaying comments
- Likely: Configure “pretty” functions from Admin panel
- Possibly: Configure “pretty” functions using some high-level template-style (like this)
- Possibly: “User Friendly” Guide . . . how to hack up a custom template quickly.
- Possibly: Provide some sample templates: “top ten” WordPress Themes
- Possibly: Add a “random image” function–you know, for fun!
- Unlikely: Support for displaying “notes”
- Far-fetched: Add support for posting?! comments
- Far-fetched: Add support for collections (Blocking on Flickr API)
Back-Burner: lnk.to (July)
I have some ideas here of some fun play, but not sure if they are feasible. I like to think that I can rock out Photos Flickr in June, then do something here in July. Or, I might do something else. Stay tuned . . .
Ideas: Things-that-might-be-cool . . .
I want to add my own buttons to the WordPress simple-editor. That might make a nice blog post / tech article if there’s not already a good HOWTO. What would be awesome is a scaffold . . .
Cary suggested that there should be a “Toldme Portal” . . . (ex-)Tellme employees can sign up. Provide:
- e-mail aliases
- DNS aliases
- basic “where are they now?” profile
- some sort of newsletter / mailing list / announcement board?
WordPress: Support for micro-formats and perhaps “for example” a Yelp–Blog gateway
Also, I want to re-design my own web site. Perhaps have some “top level” categories that provide a different “face” or “user-experience” depending on, say, Technical versus Advice versus Biography versus Whatever
And other stuff as I recall or brain storm. It is nice to have a variety of fruit to pick from.