TIP: 2006 Tax Filing Deadline is April 17, 2007
So, a few things I have learned today:
- If you are legally separated, but not divorced, it looks like you can choose to file your federal taxes jointly or separately.
- If you are moving from married to single, you might be paying a bit of back taxes. (Saw that coming.)
- But, there’s no penalty for under-withholding if you withheld more money last year than you owed the year before. (Yay wage inflation!)
- And, if you’d rather hold on to your cash until the deadline, the 2006 tax year deadline is April 17, 2007.
- Because this year, April 15 is on a Sunday . . .
- And Monday April 16 happens to be a
FederalHoliday–Emancipation Day. (HA!)
- The IRS is open on April 16, but you can’t have a tax deadline on a
- The State of California set their deadline to April 17, to keep in step with the IRS.
NOTE: I am definitely NOT an accountant. I’m just some reasonably clever guy who would prefer to hold on to his cash a few weeks more. Get your own damn advice from an expert, but let me know if I’m wrong, ya?