Dovecot: IMAP Server Sounds Good (So Far)
I’ve done UW-IMAP, Cyrus imap and Courier. Dovecot sounds like it took the best of all three:
(Thanks, Photo Matt)
- Support mbox (like UW) and Maildir (like Courier)
- Maintains a meta-data cache (like Cyrus)
- Sounds like configuration may not be too insane (like UW, Cyrus, and Courier ;)
Still, it is new, not entirely baked: (per web site “Status”)
- Shared mailboxes aren’t yet supported.
- Maildir++ quota isn’t yet supported. Hard filesystem quota can also be
- mbox support isn’t yet perfect. There’s a few theoretical problems
where Dovecot isn’t RFC-compatible, but in practise I haven’t heard it
to cause any real problems with today’s IMAP clients. v1.0 will have
rewritten mbox code with much better performance and full RFC
If only I were an IMAP admin as opposed to a Plesk admin, I’d look at this a lot more seriously. Ah well, maybe it is worth a try replacing ratchet’s Courier install sometime. If anyone has scratched this itch, I’d love to hear opinions.