I just saw a somewhat cynical view of what Obama (or any half-decent President) could accomplish in four years. What do I hope for? How pleased would I be at the Obama administration after four or eight years?
Off the top of my head:
- Afghanistan is stable, Pakistan is democratic, and Iraq is sufficiently stable and democratic such that our soldiers are no longer stationed there.
- Israel and Palestine on track to a peaceful, two-state solution.
- We have helped reduce the damage done to the world’s poorest due to famine, natural disaster, disease, and war.
- Economic opportunity at home, quality education more readily available.
- All Americans have access to health care.
- We have devised a way to reduce our carbon emissions over time to reduce our contribution to Global Warming.
- Obama does not favor gay marriage, but he should not stand in the way of civil rights. We should repeal the Defense of Marriage Act!
- The federal budget should be (closer to) balanced.
What have you got?